Equipment does not always function properly. For example, for one reason or another, some of the buttons do not respond or the keyboard on a laptop does not fully work, what to do in this case? The question is relevant especially if the laptop is a working tool.
Possible causes of laptop keyboard failure
There are many reasons for the lack of reaction of the laptop buttons, the actual ones are as follows:
- The software was infected by a virus as a result of installing a new application. To do this, you need to clean it with an antivirus.
- Outdated drivers. To fix the problem, they are updated or the laptop is rebooted, if there are no results, you should delete the problematic utility.
- Microcircuit burned out. The touchpad or ports around the device are not working. Only a specialist can solve the issue by replacing the failed part.
- Inattention. If there is a separate digital block, the keyboard may not work due to its individual disconnection.
- Crumbs and debris in the grooves of the keyboard can also make certain parts of the keyboard work. Some models, when the battery is low, stop the work of certain elements, including the keyboard.
We test the keyboard through BIOS
If you have doubts about the quality of the laptop, you should first check how the keyboard behaves when you turn it on. To do this, go to BIOS using one of the Delete or F2 buttons and view its menu or use other windows. The very fact of entering BIOS means that the keys are in good working order and you can start working.
If the entrance to the BIOS fails, then there are malfunctions of the keyboard functions in whole or in part, for example, due to the spill of liquid on it.
Important: the operation of the keyboard in BIOS and refusal to act without it indicates software problems that can be solved through Windows.
Often, the lack of correct operation is the result of a software failure. To identify and eliminate it, you need to:
- Boot through “Safe Mode” by selecting it in the settings and pressing the F8 button. Depending on the settings, other keys with the letter F can also be used. If there is no instant opening of the required window, it is worth using the letters in turn until the corresponding one appears.
- After that, you need to check the action of the keys in some program. In this case, all buttons should be tested for activity, without exception.
Important: if the matter is in the software, each time you turn on the laptop, different keys may refuse to work.
Problematic operation of all buttons indicates wear or failure of the operating system. To eliminate the gap, you need to update the drivers in the following way:
- In the “Start” menu, find “Control Panel” and go to “Device Manager”
- In this window, find the item “Keyboard” and use it with the right mouse button
- In the pop-up list, click on “Update drivers” and start the search
- The corresponding drivers will be automatically found on the network and installed
Important: you can still find the DriverPack Solution program and install it on your laptop. It will scan all drivers for updates and fix bugs.
Additionally, you should scan the system for viruses with special utilities.
If all actions are meaningless, you should roll back the program to a positive moment, when the device as a whole worked without problems. To perform an action you need:
- go to the “Start” menu and go to “All programs”, “Standard”;
- then use the “Service” section and the “System Restore” item.
If the “System Restore” item in the “Start” menu follows:
- Click on it and click “Next” in the pop-up window
- In the pop-up list, select a point according to the date and time when everything was positive
- To roll back the system, click “Next” and confirm “Finish”
Important! You can also reboot the system if the keyboard refuses to work positively in “Safe Mode”, but these actions are not very effective.
Pressed or oxidized contacts of the keyboard loop
If the touchpad and ports on the device are working, the problem is with the ribbon cable. There are several reasons for its malfunction:
- The train came off when transferring equipment or due to tight contact
- Incorrect connection after disconnecting the keyboard or self-removal
- The ill-conceived design of the device led to a fracture of the loop
In some models, removing the block with keys is quite difficult. The train in them is very thin and at the slightest wrong movement it can burst.
Important! If there is no experience in disassembling a laptop and removing the keyboard on your own, it is better to contact the service center.
Oxidation of contacts can occur due to ingress of moisture, specialists in the service center will restore their activity.
Failure of the microcontroller or liquid spilled on the laptop
If the keyboard is flooded with a sweet or salty liquid, corrosion begins, which can damage the button row in whole or in part, and also have a negative effect on the motherboard.
If this situation occurs and the keys stop working, you must:
- Immediately disconnect the laptop from the power supply and remove the battery from the case, disconnect the power supply
- Turn the device over and drain the liquid
- Do not operate until completely dry, on average it will take 1 – 2 days
Important: it will not be superfluous to contact the service center. Specialists will completely remove sugar residues and process the contacts to prevent the development of corrosion.
Sometimes several keys may not work due to dust and dirt particles getting into the laptop. To avoid such troubles you should:
- Perform systematic care of the device
- Clean it from dust
- Do not take equipment into the kitchen
- Do not eat at work
If working on a laptop is important and urgent use is required, it is necessary to use a portable keyboard connected to USB ports or an on-screen keyboard. The latter option is perfect if several keys are out of order.
How do I enable the onscreen keyboard? This requires:
- In the “Start” find the line “Control Panel” and click on it
- “Configure computer settings” will open
- You should scroll down the columns and find the “Ease of Access Center”
- Open the item and click on the “Enable on-screen keyboard” in it
A virtual keyboard will appear on the screen, which can be used by analogy with the usual one.
The failure of some of the buttons on the keyboard or its complete failure occurs as a result of many reasons, such as aging drivers, lack of program updates during a long period, or physical impact. The latter reasons include a fracture, temporary wear of the loop, flooding the device with liquid, and pollution.